Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Luis Salom closing in on championship lead

Luis Salom Misano 2012

With his seventh podium finish of the season Luis Salom is closing in on the lead of the Moto3 championship. Salom finished second in the GP Aperol di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini, on the tail of championship leader Sandro Cortese. RW Racing GP’s top rider is currently third in the standings, but only ten points behind Maverick Viñales. There are still five races to go.

Salom fought a really hard battle with Romano Fenati and Sandro Cortese. The race came at its height with three laps remaining and Maverick Viñales, who had a bad start, closed in on the leading group. With five riders close to each other and changing positions in every corner they entered the final lap. Cortese managed to get away just far enough to prevent Salom from beating him. Cortese said it was one of the most difficult races of the season so far and he took maximum risk to take the lead.

Brad Binder had a difficult race as well, 20 seconds behind the leading group. The South African finished in the worst possible position, just outside the points.

Luis Salom (2nd): ,,This was a very hard race. There were too many riders remaining in the group to have a decent fight. It was too close. It’s a pity I couldn’t take Cortese. He was very quick in the last lap and just too far away to try. I am happy with the result, especially for my team and for Kalex and KTM. They have worked very hard to give me the best bike.’’

Brad Binder (16th): ,,I had a good start and I was battling in the group that fought for fourteenth. I was in a duel with Tonucci and every time I came close to him, he messed up my rhythm. Because of that I lost the connection with the group. Unfortunately I finished sixteenth: just outside the points. I know I had a good race with good lap times but I’m very disappointed about the result.’’

RW Racing Press Release

You can give your opinion on our Facebook page here
Get the latest update on our Twitter page here

Related Post