Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Luck Evades Mapfre Aspar Team in Valencia Moto3 Race

Luca Amato Valencia 2012

After much talk of rain over the entire weekend, in the end it was Sunday in which it had the most impact. It may not have fallen during the Moto3 race, but dampness an hour beforehand left the track wet for the course of the 24-lap contest. Jonas Folger had taken pole, but was unable to start from the top spot due to an electrical problem. Luis Salom made the first move in a race that was typically unpredictable. There were crashes and eleven retirements, before Danny Kent took the win by overtaking Sandro Cortese on the final lap. Khairuddin completed the podium, with Salom taking the runner-up spot from Viñales.

MAPFRE Aspar rider Jonas Folger took the fastest time in qualifying yesterday. He was also second in the warmup this morning, but was unable to take advantage of the placing after an unforeseen issue. The German experienced a mechanical problem on the formation lap and it was only due to the speedy work of the mechanics that he was able to take the start from pit lane –aiming for a comeback reminiscent of the las trace at Phillip Island. However, on lap seven he was forced to retire from the race.

Teammate Luca Amato also had difficulties, ufinishing the race but placing 22nd, thanks to his lack of feel for the wet Valencia track. ya que el alemán no ha encontrado sensaciones con el asfalto mojado y al final concluía en 22ª posición.

Jonas Folger (DNF): “We were very unlucky today, above all when you consider our incredible pace over the entire weekend. We had a mechanical issue on the formation lap, but these things happen. I just felt the bike cut out. It is a shame, because I felt strong even in the wet, and knew that I could fight for the win. I wanted to get a good result to dedicate to the team. I will be optimistic despite this, as I have had a positive time since arriving in the MAPFRE Aspar Team. This second half of the season has been fantastic, and fortunately we are together again next year. I intend to be just as strong in 2013.”

22th Luca Amato: “I am very angry with myself, because I didn’t manage to find my feeling all day; not in the warmup, nor in the race. I don’t know the reason for this, but I did notice that the wet tyres were sliding me around on every corner, almost as if I was using slicks. The conditions this weekend didn’t help us, as they changed in every session and made it tough to adapt. It is a pity to end the year like this, but I want to thank the team for everything that they’ve done for me.”

Mapfre Aspar Moto3 Press Release

You can give your opinion on our Facebook page here
Get the latest update on our Twitter page here

Related Post